Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Derelict

I've made no secret of my love of old buildings since I started this project. And by that I don't just mean the old buildings that are historic and pretty though I love those too. No, I have something of a love for buildings that have seen better days. Buildings that have been left to fall to pieces. Buildings that nature is reclaiming. There is something both beautiful and sad about them.

And today, I found this house. Which fit my little obsession beautifully.


There were a couple of men from a landscaping company working there. The house is slated to be destroyed eventually. One of the men was working in the weeds with a chainsaw while I was taking some pictures along the other side of the house. The weeds - a huge mass of thorny bushes really - are so tall you couldn't even see the man working.


The back of the house is collapsing and I couldn't go back inside. I was tempted to ask, I really was, but the two guys had been in there the other day and there were asbestos warnings everywhere. And, of course, the falling down part of things.





Part of the problem with this house is the ground it sits upon. Kind of proves the old "Location Location Location" adage. If this house were in one of the old neighbourhoods in Vancouver or New Westminster, someone would have fixed it up years and years ago and it would have sold for... uh... well... a whole lot of money. You can see that it was a beautiful home, once upon a time.



This is the only shot I could get of the back. Believe me, there's no way I'm getting through those thorns to get around to the back at the actual house. So I drove to the next farm and took a picture. The horse below gave me a suspicious look and the Rottweiler looked very friendly. I just couldn't decide if he was "oh, climb out of the car so I can eat you friendly" and it seemed better to err on the side of safety. So this pic was taken through the fence, unfortunately.



A great old building and a great day out and about. And awesome that the guys were willing to let me take some pictures! Sometimes the timing is just perfect!

No comments: