Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring is finally springing!!

And one of the things that the beginning of spring means is that it's time to slash and burn.

Yup, they've been out and about this week, burning underbrush and getting rid of the dead stuff. Which, of course, causes a good bit of smoke around the various areas of town.


I was amazed that the remains of this tree was still standing, look how much of it is eaten out by the fire. I kind of wonder how long it took for it to finally give up the fight.


And to some people, spring means something else entirely....


I think there's a truck somewhere under all that mud! LOL

6 comments:

katei371 said...

I love the first two, I can totally smell that burning in my mind!

Jenn M said...

I laughed out loud when i saw the truck picture!!
I also can totally imagine the burning smell. Is there a reason for the burning? They don't do that here or back in NS

Lorelei said...

We've got a lot of muskeg up here which means a -lot- of undergrowth that dies over the winter. A lot of it doesn't come back, new stuff just grows. Over time it can build up and make flash fires possible so they burn it out in areas where it's gotten pretty thick.

Jenn said...

I can smell the brush burning too!!
I've never understood why people like to drive through mud; all I can think of is that I then have to clean it....ick. Makes for a good photo though!! :)

Theresa T said...

The second one is bizarre. So much burnt and it still stands. Also love the job you did of capturing the smoke in the photo as well.

Theresa T said...

The second one is bizarre. So much burnt and it still stands. Also love the job you did of capturing the smoke in the photo as well.