Thursday, May 29, 2008

Old Rail Fence...

I've been visiting family this last week, which has made updating my blog and such a bit more difficult than it normally is. But we were able to get out and get some pictures around the area.

My parents live in the Interior of BC where it's semi-arid desert region. Dry and not lush with green like the coast but still very pretty in its own way.

I wanted to photograph an old church and I'll post those pictures tomorrow. Today's focus is an old rail fence surrounding the church and the lilacs that were growing in huge bushes around it and around the rest of the area.


I love the texture of the wood in these old fences, the weathered gray look of them, the parts that are cracked and chipped and eaten away at. They look like they've seen it all, if only they could only find a way to tell their stories.


The plants grow against the fence and sometimes around and through the fence, giving you the idea that it's just always been there.

And the lilacs are gorgeous. They are, for me, the ultimate spring flower and have always been a personal favourite. Other flowers last longer, bloom more often, but lilacs with that thick heady scent are my personal favourite. And these ones have such a rich colour and so many blooms you couldn't count them all.

It's been a good trip and, while Connor and I'll both be happy to see hubby again, it's always hard to leave our family behind to head back up to the north.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I really love those fences too! I enjoyed the brightness of your photos today!

Jenn M said...

The second one is so coool!! I also love lilacs and you captured them beautifully

katei371 said...

The last one has a great perspective! I love fence pictures, they are a favourite subject of mine. Great job!

Theresa T said...

Glad that you could find and enjoy the lilacs on your trip. Beautiful colours!