Monday, November 26, 2007

Something old... Antique watch...

The theme for this week is "something old" and as soon as I read the contest theme, I knew what I was going to photograph. Something old indeed.

This is a pocket watch that hubby received after the death of his father. We're still trying to track down the origins of the watch. It has a fairly detailed inscription in the back but it's still going to take some work.

We're not sure where the hallmark is to be found but the closest match for the watch that we've been able to find out places this watch somewhere around 1919. We're going to see about finding out a more precise date for the watch and try to find out more about the story behind it.

I'd also like to look into getting it professionally cleaned and fixed up if possible but I'm not sure about how it works with antiques. Not that anyone will be selling it or anything but we don't want to mess with it given how long it's already lasted. It's obviously a watch that saw use, not just decorative value.

Now I'll just have to pick which one of the pictures I want to put into the contest!







3 comments:

Jenn said...

I love them all! As I read through the post I kept thinking how great each photo was and then the next just kept getting better!!

Jenn M said...

OMG I totally agree! Gorgeous pics - all of them!! So beautiful! And what a great way for your hubby to remember his father

Theresa T said...

What a great looking watch-and an even better family story behind it. Good luck researching it.